Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Beach Baby!

We rented a car and headed to the coast on Thursday, July 2nd. Frank was a bit reluctant as he did not want to lose half a day at Disneyland. I really wanted Rachel to experience the beach and see the ocean for the first time. I could not imagine being that close and not going, so we ventured over. Plus I love driving up or down or up and down the Pacific Coast Highway. It is just breathtakingly beautiful every single time. I used to do it quite often the year we lived down there:). We had a nice afternoon albeit a bit stressful with the crowdedness, traffic, and not having the best memory regarding how to get around down there. We stopped at Chick-Fil-A, stocked up on chicken, waffle fries and sweet iced tea and headed to the beach for a little picnic. After the picnic, Rachel sunk her toes into the sand for the very first time ever, worked very hard to not let those same toes touch the icy coast ocean water, and then crawled around and played in the sand until we decided we had enough of the extremely hot sun. These newbie Seattle-ites are just not used to it anymore:). Frank and I agreed that sunscreen with SPF 70+ is just amazing! We did apply two coats to Rachel as we were a bit nervous given the intensity of the sun down there. We then dabbed some on a few areas we were concerned about on ourselves...noses, ears etc...not one spot of sunburn where that sunscreen touch! It was awesome:)...sharing some pics of our afternoon...


Heading up the PCH to Huntington Beach...

Mommy & Daddy felt an extra layer of sunscreen was necessary to protect the sweet baby skin...Rachel tasted it once and I'm pretty sure she won't do so again:)...

Little Beach Baby...I wish she realized the value of her sunglasses...but she would not keep them on:)...

Mommy can never resist a picture of Rachel's adorable cheeks...so precious and kissable...

Rachel & Mommy sinking their feet in the sand...felt so good...
Rachel just loved crawling and digging in the sand...
Walking in the sand...not so easy...
Getting a good first look at the Pacific Ocean with Daddy...
The water was way too c-c-cold to let the toesies touch it!
Rachel & Mommy checking out the surf...
Once Rachel discovered the sand between the towels...
she was just captivated by the texture...
She sat and sifted sand through her fingers for quite a long time:)...



After leaving Huntington Beach, we decided to enjoy a non-Disney dinner. We headed to one of Frank's favorite restaurants in Southern California...Habana...lots of atmosphere, one of our favorite outdoor seating areas, delicious Mojitos, and great food! Rachel was an angel even after spending the afternoon at the beach in the hot sun. She munched on grilled chicken, mashed potatoes, and applesauce while basking in the adoring attention of everyone around us. She just smiles and waves at everyone who gives her the slightest glance:)...


Checking out the artwork at the "Anti-Mall" near Habana, Daddy's favorite Cuban restaurant,
in Costa Mesa, CA...
Just mugging for the camera...we traded the cute little jelly sandals for some leggings and socks...didn't realize she looked like such a little "ragamuffin" until I saw the pictures:)...
Back at Disney...watching the parade...from the best vantage point...
Electrical Parade
"I am so ready for this day to be over, Mommy!" ...tired baby girl...

3 comments:

Jamie said...

such sweet pictures Lori! :) i love the ocean and i'm so glad you convinced Frank to go. :) Looks like so much fun!
i think it would be impossible for rachel to look like a ragamuffin with you as her mama! :) she looks absolutely adorable and i personally love that layered look....so cute! :)

thanks for sharing! :)

kimberly said...

oh, you can't be that close to the ocean and not introduce rachel!!!!! the beach is my favorite place in the world!!! and little ones seem to bring out all the reasons why...the wonder of it all!
so happy you are having a wonderful time!
hugs,
kimberly

Anonymous said...

Great pictures Lori!..sorry so late in viewing your blog...I LOVE the PCH...I miss the west terribly. I'm glad Rachel was able to experience the beach...any ocean is my favorite destination. It looks like Disney was awesome too. We have yet to go with our girls... Thanks for sharing the photos. You're such a great Mommy!

Christine S.