Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pumpkins, Apples, Hay Rides ~ Oh, My! (part one)

On Sunday, much to my delight, we headed out to a local Pumpkin Farm/Apple Orchard! We took Sheena to one before Rachel was born and I always wanted that to be one of our little annual "traditions". Every year I dream of going to the Apple Orchard to pick apples and the Pumpkin Patch to pick out pumpkins. The past two years we did make it to an Apple Orchard in Washington, but they were just okay. We did not make it to a Pumpkin Patch Rachel's first Autumn but that was okay as she was a "little pumpkin" that year for Halloween. Last year, we tried...oh how we tried. I even made her a cute little denim jumper with Fall leaves on it for the occasion. Frank found what was supposed to be a terrific one near our house and we loaded up and went...it was a mud fest! Ick! We passed on it and went to Starbuck's instead.

SO this year I was REALLY hoping. I had the little "apple-picking" outfit ready! I decorated some little overalls for the Pumpkin Patch etc...well, time sure does fly around here and it is already the middle of October! Frank's been travelling a lot for work again. Well, I was researching apple orchards and pumpkin patches trying to get something tentatively on our "schedule". As it turned out, a sweet Grandma who takes great care of us at our favorite bbq restaurant told me where go. She loves the Orchard/Farm where she takes her grandchildren every year and highly recommended it! BUT...it is an Apple Orchard AND Pumpkin Patch all in one. Dilemma for me! Hmmm...I asked Frank if we could take Rachel in her "apple-picking" outfit and pick apples then change her into the Pumpkin Patch outfit for the rest of the time. Um, no. That did not go over well. He thought I was being silly. Perhaps I was, but that's just me:).

As it turned out...this place was AMAZING! We had a really good time! Here are some photos from the day...

Rachel waiting for Mommy to get ready...
We arrived!
So many pumpkins, so little time! 
 Doesn't she look cute?
(People were stopping and commenting
or just smiling at her and us:))
 Rachel & Da-Da!
 I stuck her in the middle of a bunch
to try to get some shots.
She is such her Momma''s daughter...
"dirty, dirty, dirty!"
She wouldn't touch them!
 Rachel and Da-Da!
He had just tied her hiking boots.
I was trying to get her to look at ME,
but she really wanted no part of pictures
that day so I had to take a bunch of candids.
Sometimes that is better anyway:).
 On the Hay Ride.
She loved the hay...straw?...hay?
 Following Daddy. 
Looking for apple trees...
 Yep,
this girl has no attitude...
(can't you tell?)
I think she liked feeling the cool breeze
 on her tongue, seriously...
 Heading out again!
We are determined to find the apple trees!
 We found pear trees!
 Got one!
 Two!
 Very proud...
 NOW...
Let's go find the...
APPLES!
 Here they are! Momma's turn to help...
 We found some hidden ones...

 These were at the perfect level!
 Here's my apple!
(so sunny - washed us out a bit)
 As we headed back to the activities,
Rachel rested her head
on top of her Daddy's and said,
"sleep"...
 That was a lot of work
for such a little tike!


Gosh, it was fun! I'll have to post the second half in a day or two. After we got back to the main area, we had complimentary apple cider and apple pie with vanilla ice-cream, got to see some 4 week old Lab puppies, met up with some new friends, went through the hay maze (straw?) and picked out our PUMPKINS! It was just a sunny, gorgeous Fall day! Perfection...

4 comments:

Carissa said...

I know exactly which farm that is. :) It is one of my favorites!! I grew up a few miles from there and that is were we went every year for pumpkins, and fruits and veggies for canning.

I'm so glad that you got to enjoy that time with Rachel-I hope you get to go back for years to come.

Jamie said...

awww ~ looks like SO much fun lori! :) i love her little outfit ~ too too cute! :) not sure when you find the time to do all you do. ;)

it looks like an absolutely beautiful day in the NW! :) i'm anxiously waiting to take milo to some pumpkin patches around here ~ daddy has been way too busy. :)

thanks for sharing!!

Suzi said...

So cute as always! I love the picture of her resting her head on her daddy! And her outfit is just adorable!

Ashley said...

That looks like so much fun! That's cute that she wouldn't touch the dirty pumpkins.