Sunday, January 15, 2012

Happy 10th Birthday to Sheena!

Yesterday was a very special day at our house! It was Sheena's 10th birthday. Rachel loves birthdays, and she has been planning and having little birthday parties with/for Sheena for quite a long time now. Sheena doesn't quite understand why she is constantly being served plastic cupcakes and cakes, pizza, and various other party foods but she tolerates the attention. I personally think she enjoys the attention. Well, with knowing that Sheena's real birthday was approaching, our little party planner started some serious planning. She told me she had a list, and we needed balloons, treats, a singing birthday card and some paw candles. I have never seen paw candles and questioned her about that one. She told me we just had to go to Kohl's and to the doggy aisle and there would be paw candles. I still wasn't convinced and had to come up with an alternative plan to the "paw candle" idea.

Sheena Baby Pictures!
(Yay for Daddy and the scanner!)
She was about 8 weeks old here.
She was about 6 lbs.
Just a tiny ball of fluff.


So Rachel and I hit the grocery store on Friday. I knew I wanted to make everyone's favorite vanilla cupcakes with buttercream frosting. Rachel chose three balloon colors, a box of candles (which were nowhere to be found when I was ready for them!), a musical card that literally barks out "Happy Birthday", and vanilla ice-ceam because Shee-Shee cannot have chlocolate (that's how R says it:)). We already had the treats from the specialty pet shop we went to last week. We were set! 

A few of my favorites from our
early Seattle years...


Sheena's whole world changed
on March 18, 2008!
She was no longer an only child.
Welcome Baby Rachel!
It didn't take long for them to become
best friends as well as sisters...






This was one of the first pictures I took of them
after we found out our Sheena was very sick.
It was a long 9 months of trips to the vet,
lots of meds. and monitoring,
and lots and lots of TLC...
but it looks like our girl
has beat the IMHA's for now!
We are incredibly grateful.
She is pretty amazing.
They both are...


Christmas 2011








On Saturday, we assembled the ingredients and began our baking. We ended up making vanilla and chocolate cupcakes. Rachel made the vanilla ones almost all by herself! She giggled the whole time she used the mixer. It is kind of fun. While she was sleeping I frosted all the cupcakes and put the paw prints on. She was so excited when she woke up and couldn't wait to see the paws! Her excitement made all the hard work worthwhile. I orginally planned on putting ten on the plate so she could choose ten candles to place in them. Well, the box of 24 candles she chose at the store was somehow nowhere to be found. Grrr...I know I'll find it next week...maybe under the seat of my car or something as she wanted to hold it during the car ride home. I had to go with just one candle. Sheena really was okay with it as she doesn't know how to blow them out anyway. It was all good...and fun...and tasty! Good party-planning, Rachel! You are so incredibly loved, Sheena!

Giggle, giggle...
Rachel using a hand mixer
all by herself
for the very first time.
Making Sheena's birthday cupcakes!

"Paw Print" Cupcakes...
There's our
Birthday Girl!
"Happy Birthday, Dear Sheena..."
Yum!
She licked her plate clean...
then patiently waited for each of ours!
Our Beautiful 10 Year Old!
(She looks a little tired from all that
partying last night, don't ya think?!)

1 comment:

Carissa said...

Awww, Happy Belated Birthday Sheena. She is such a sweet dog, she looks like she loved the party. :)