Friday, April 24, 2009

A Year ( and one month) Ago...March 24, 2008...

Ah, yes...another "A Year Ago" post...but I have to technically go back an extra month to get it right...I really wanted to do this in March but just couldn't get it done with starting the blog, planning a 1st birthday party, cleaning, decorating, shopping:), celebrating:), hosting out of town guests etc...etc...etc...you get the picture:)...so yes...backtracking a bit once again...

So...one year and one month ago...on March 24th...the Monday after Easter...we brought Rachel home! Yes...it was an extraordinary, memorable, exhausting day, and one I'll never forget. You see...for those of you who do not already know...Rachel was born in Oregon and there are very strict rules/laws about taking a child across state lines without proper permission/documentation...so we spent a few days in Oregon getting to know our precious little one before she was able to come home to meet Sheena! We were actually in a baby specialty store buying the most adorable wooden plaque for her nursery wall when we got the call. She was just sleeping soundly in her infant carrier totally oblivious to all her admirers. She received so many smiles and compliments everywhere we went. We could not stop smiling or take our eyes off her for very long ourselves...still can't:). Who knew we would actually "fight over" over who would feed her, change her diaper, put her to bed etc...I must say Frank was so good at making her bottles and keeping everything organized and clean those first few days. I didn't even know how to make her bottles until sometime after we got home. Awesome Daddy!

Just tonight Frank called from the airport while on his way home, and I told him about actually getting to rock Rachel to sleep at naptime today. We look forward to that as it does not happen too often. She has the sniffles and 4 teeth coming in...big ones!...one on each side on both the top and bottom in the back...ouch! Her whole little mouth must be so sore! Anyway, she has always been a baby who just wants to be put into the crib with her blankie when she is ready for naps and bedtime. She used to love being swaddled, but now just wants to hold her blankie close to her face. We usually just put her down, turn on the mobile and lullaby cd and she soothes herself to sleep. She has never been much for a story or rocking. You can read plenty of stories to her...if you do it earlier:). So today, due to her sniffles and teething, this Mommy was treated to some extra special moments of rocking her to sleep and watching her relax and drift into sweet dreamyland. I let her bite on a super cold washcloth to help soothe what must be some very sore gums. It was priceless...moments like this I truly treasure. I sat there extra long to savor the moment...just holding her...dropping little kisses on her forehead...staring at her sweet, finally peaceful little face before placing her in her crib. She slept for over three hours...an unexpected little bonus, so Sheena and I had lunch together and I finished my ironing! Well I was telling Frank about this on the phone and I said she might need that again at bedtime...he was so cute and said..."I call that one...it's mine"...and he put her to bed tonight:)...

Anyway...back to the main reason for this post...I tend to write just like I talk...rambling and scattered:)...So, we got the call, quickly paid for our plaque, loaded up the car and headed home!!!!! Yay!!! We missed Sheena terribly and could not wait to see her. We were really looking forward to unpacking the baby, suitcases, Baby Shower gifts etc...and to start the process of settling in with our newborn. It had been a very exciting week in Oregon...Rachel's birth, a second Baby Shower, adjusting to a newborn's schedule and just sitting around staring at the most beautiful, tiny, precious, little miracle we had ever seen...our darling daughter...we felt so incredibly blessed...here are some photos from those wonderful, "more tired than we knew we could get" days...thanks for taking a peek...

The Baby Shower Frank's co-workers held for us on March 19, 2008...
yep, we had our pink on!
A quiet moment in the nursery before leaving the hospital...So precious...
One of the first feedings...about 1.5 ounces...

First sponge bath...hated it...until soft, fuzzy towel time...

An awake moment with Mommy...

just three days old...

Not awake for long...sweet baby...

Sleeping angel...

Lost in the Moses Basket...we added the sleep wedge to it later and it was great!

Listening intently to Daddy's storytelling...Dr. Seuss if I remember correctly...

Yay! We're going HOME! I always thought it looked like she was cheering here...

I know...probably just stretching:)

Home Sweet Home! Heading into the house with baby for the first time... Sheena meets Rachel... Just getting used to the idea of a Baby Sister...so far, so good...
Settling in...Rachel in her bouncy seat...one of the rare moments she wasn't swaddled!

But...not for long..."swaddle" baby:)

No comments: