
(The photos here are from Rachel's
2nd birthday portrait session at Sears in March.
Bitty Baby joined us this time:))
Dear Rachel,
my darling, darling daughter,
my darling, darling daughter,
I have been thinking about this all week,
and as you sleep soundly in your crib
I feel compelled to write a letter to you.
Every night after our stories and talks
and giggles and hugs,
I tuck you in, give you your blankies,
kiss your teddy bears and
place them both into your arms
and walk out of your room.
I do this with a smile
because you continue to blow me kisses
even after I'm out of sight.
I know because
I can hear your little lips smacking.
I pray you never ever stop.
I love how when I whisper
"I love you, Sweetheart,
get some good sleep
and Mommy will see you in the morning",
you give me your confirming "uh-huh".
I cannot help but smile
and stand outside your nursery door
with my eyes closed for a moment.
I wonder if you know I am still there.
I stand there with happy tears in my eyes
and silently thank God
and everyone responsible
for blessing us with such a sweet girl. 

That is what you are, my darling girl...
sweet, smart, fun, adorable, loving, kindhearted,
generous with hugs and kisses and so much more.
You are so many wonderful things.
Mommy could write a whole letter
of just the beautiful words describing
all that you are at just age 2.
But tonight I want to tell you
about all the things I love about you...
I love how you sit on my lap in the rocker
each night after I read the stories
and listen intently
while I talk about what we did all day.
I love how you insert your little affirmations,
sometimes even in a very excited tone...
a big smile and "uh-huhhhhhh!!!".
It is so sweet how sometimes
you just lean forward and kiss my cheek
without me even asking.
These moments I cherish.
I love your "squeeze hugs"!
They are the best.
I think Sheena is even starting to enjoy them.
I felt so bad today that we missed Art Class,
but I think we both needed our naps.
I loved our walk though.
You get so excited when you see
the trees, flowers, cars, birds,
dogs and other people.
You are so sweet to say "hi" to them
even if they ignore you.
I love how you listen
when Mommy asks you to do something.
It's like you know that
I am only trying to keep you safe. 

You were such a big help to me
when you carried your blankie and sippy cup
into the house for me.
I love how you wait for me
and how you know
I will always be there to help you
walk up the steps or
with whatever you need.
I cherish how you love and trust me so.
I think it is sweet
how you always ask about
Daddy and Doggy
when they are not around.
How are you so
thoughtful and considerate
at such a young age?
I love how you help me...
by bringing me Sheena's dish for food,
by carrying clothes to the washer,
by trying to let doggy outside
when she needs to go,
by trying to wipe her paws and tushy
when she comes back into the house,
by wanting to be the one
who gives her the treats,
by putting things into the sink,
or trash,
by unloading the dishwasher,
and most of all...
by picking up your toys and books
with me each night.
I love how when I tell you it is time for nap or bed
you head for the stairs and then your room!
It is so cute how when I say
it is time for the Bedtime Express
you say "Choo! Choo!".
I think Daddy gets credit for that. 

I love how you come when I ask you to
and how you help me dress you.
I love how you can put on your own shoes
even though they are on the wrong feet
sometimes.
I love how you test me
but still make the decision to come.
I have to try hard not to laugh
when I ask you to come and
YOU count to three.
I guess it is a learning
opportunity in more ways than one.
At least you do come.
I love your sense of humor.
You love to laugh
and make others laugh too!
What a funny little one you are.
I love how curious you are
about everything.
It is so funny how you show you understand.
An example is when you draw on your DoodlePro
and shake your head "yes",
then when you pretend to draw on your books
and shake your head "no".
You show Mommy that you
really do understand.
I love how attentive you are
when we read books together.
I love when you read to me or Sheena.
I love how you do little things
to get me to sing songs to you.
It is cute how you know the hand motions to
"Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star",
"The Wheels on the Bus"
"Itsy Bitsy Spider" etc...
It is beyond adorable to watch you
dance around in circles
and jump up and down
to the songs that you love.
I love your version of the "Hot Dog Dance"
from The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
and
"Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes".
"Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes".
I love how excited you get
when you see Ellen or Rachael Ray on TV.
If they only knew how many
"hi's" they get and
how many kisses you blow to them.
I think it is funny how you
love to watch
"Wheel of Fortune" now.
I am so proud of you when I ask you
to show me the letter "A" and
you point out examples everywhere.
I was impressed when you where able to
get the letters "B, C, D, and E" for me
off the refrigerator today!
I'm not sure if you just got lucky
or what but you only made one mistake!
I love what a good Mommy
YOU are already.
It was so sweet how upset you got when
your dolly fell out of the car and
onto the pavement at the grocery store yesterday.
I loved how, after I brushed her off and
wrapped her in your blankie,
you held her gently during our whole
shopping trip and even kissed her boo-boos.
I love how you help me grocery shop.
You are so good at picking out the
carrots, lemons, limes,
apples and sweet potatoes
and putting them into the bags.
Very helpful.
You are very good at paying the cashier too!
I love how compassionate you are.
You are so sweet to kiss Mommy's boo boo's
and try to make me feel better.
I know they heal faster
because of you.
I love how you let me hold you
"just for one more minute" sometimes.
You are so patient at times.
I love how you are willing
to share with others.
You do it at Gymboree class
by trying to give other children
instruments or balls or toys.
You also do it at home...
tonight you shared your yummy
apple slices with me.
I also think you shared some of your dinner
with Sheena.
I love how you say
"please" and "thank you".
"please" and "thank you".
Sweetheart,
I think I can write volumes about
all the things I love about you
and all the ways
you make me proud.
These are just some of the things
that have been on my mind this week.
Every time I look at you
my heart just swells with love and pride.
Sometimes I even get tears in my eyes.
I love how when I tell you why
you just smile and agree with me.
Your smiles are the best.
I love how much you smile and laugh
every single day.
You are our
happy, happy girl!
It is still so fun to see you smile and clap
when you hear the words
"Good girl, Rachel" or
"Thank you, Sweetheart. You are so helpful."
or "Mommy loves you so much, Rachel."
and so many others.
Mommy needs to say "good night" for now
as we have another very busy day
planned for tomorrow.
I hope you never get tired of hearing
how much we love you.
You are an Angel and make
Mommy and Daddy
so very happy and proud
every single day.
All my love,
Mommy 








4 comments:
This is the greatest post. I hope you type up this letter for Rachel and scrapbook it with some of these pictures. This is so very nice and thoughtful. Makes me want to cry!
Wonderful, wonderful letter. So sweet, and so heartfelt! It brought tears to my eyes and made me want to give my own little sweetheart a big hug! Thanks for sharing this with all of us!
-Suzi
i'm just in tears lori ~ there are really no words to describe the depth of happiness and joy these little ones of ours bring to each and every day. your letter is beautiful ~ what an amazing little girl you have and how blessed you all are to have each other. i hope at two years old that milo listens to me as well as rachel listens to you ~ but i'm not holding my breath! :)
those pictures are beautiful :)
This is the most precious letter. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Post a Comment