Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Surgery, Preschool & Big Girl Bed, Oh My!

Yes, we're still here! It's just been a month or so of crazy busy-ness! Hopefully it slows down a bit as we get into our Fall routine and mark a few things off the "to do" list. I'm not even going to promise to "be back and post more" because everyone knows how that turns out. Honestly not even sure if I have any readers now that I never post, but...here we are:).

So, as our family members and friends know, Rachel's (kind of sudden) heart murmur surgery went well. The days leading up to it were very scary as it is hard to turn one's brain off when thinking about and forming opinions about something one really knows nothing about. Ughhhh...had myself frightened to the point of feeling sick. I still feel emotional when I think of that day and all that was involved. Thank goodness it was scheduled quickly and we got it done. I won't go into details now, but I'll just say that I really am one lucky girl. I have such an amazing husband and brave, incredible baby girl! Oh, and I was pretty impressed with the doctors etc...at the children's hospital. Looking forward to the follow ups and continued reassurance that all is fine.

On a more upbeat note, Rachel has officially started preschool! She said we did "practice preschool" in August and now this is REAL preschool, but we need to just call it "school" cause well that's what it is. (Yes, I am very tired come bedtime:)) We attended the Back-To-School Picnic and Orientation on Tuesday then school started on Wednesday. Why do they pack all that into the night before school starts? Just wondering...
BTS Night...
First Day!
I must say it was interesting starting school as a parent rather than a teacher. Goodness, that supply list was long. Fortunately, we love shopping for school and art supplies. I did get a handy little label maker as EVERY crayon, marker, gluestick etc...needed to be labeled with her name. I tried not to do it, but I immediately found myself perusing her classroom and marking things off my mental checklist. Is it kid-friendly? Check. Is it organized? Check. Is it colorful? Check.  Is there a place for Circle Time? Check. Is there a reading area? Check. Is the reading area inviting for little ones? Check. Alphabet posted? Check. Calendar posted? Check. Are things labeled? Check. Can she reach her cubby? Check. Well...you get the picture:). I got a great first impression, and second and third, of her teacher as I found myself back in there a few times during the evening. One of times was to snap a few photos for scrapbook purposes. It was then that she asked me to be the "designated picture person" for the year. Hmmm...yes, I can do that! I will take pictures at all events I am present at, she will take many during the year too, then I will edit and put them on a disk for all parents to receive a copy of at year end. Off to a good start...

Rachel working on her very first coloring page at "school".
Aw...first "Circle Time"...
Day 2!
On Thursday, we stopped at a shoe store for new ballet slippers.
Rachel immediately saw a pair of shoes she needed to try on!
She stuffed her foot into the display that was a size too small for her.
I found her size, she said they fit much better,
and asked if she could get them.
Um...yes! Definitely!
You see,
her favorite color is "yellow!".
Everyone knows it.
She practically shouts it from the rooftops.
So...when my baby girl excitedly tries on
and then wants a pair of
pink, glittery, sparkly, pretty...
and did I mention PINK(?) shoes
you can bet I'm going to get them for her;)...
ooh...they are so pretty...
This is what she wants to do when she
comes home from school...
more cutting, pasting, drawing and coloring...
Just hanging out...
The other exciting thing happening in our house right now is...Rachel is in a "big girl bed'! Yay! I know some of you are thinking, "It's about time!". No judging! We moved into our house here she was 2 years and 2 months old. She was not climbing, or falling, out of her crib. I honestly had no desire to move her to a "big girl" bed even though I was feeling a little peer pressure and getting some questions about it from her daddy. I concentrated on getting us unpacked, getting her potty trained, learning our way around and finding new activities to join. When she turned three, I found a few more excuses. The thought of a little three year old roaming around at night (I wasn't sure how you make them stay in bed once they could get out on their own?) and the size and floor plan of this house made me super nervous. Two kid's rooms, large loft/office, huge playroom and three bathrooms up there...oh, and two big staircases...I think a lot of mom's can understand my hesitation to take her out of such a safe place as her crib too soon. Oh, and both of the kid's rooms have their own bathrooms and french doors that lead to balconies! Yikes! They are very secure and lock in several places, high enough that little hands cannot reach, but still.

So, I bought some more time with my safety "argument". Then we got to age four, and I started thinking about it more. Did I miss my opportunity? Am I "babying" my girl too much in the quest for keeping her safe? (Well, safe and sleeping like the angel she is. The girl LOVES that crib. It is obvious that it is her safe little corner of the world. Sleeps like a champ, naps really well several days a week still, etc...) Well, I started thinking about it and talking about it a bit. I started worrying about what people would think. Hate it when I do that. I talked to Rachel about it and was met with, "But I don't want a big girl bed, Mommy! I LOVE my bed just as it is. Please, don't change it at all. Please." Uh-oh...she's got opinions now! So I dropped it. Then I posed the question to some wise mommy friends and got some good transitioning ideas...reluctant child or not. Rachel and I browsed online for some new bedding. She got to unpack it when it came. She LOVED it. So did I! I kind of had a goal date in mind back in July. That day came and went:). Oops! Then I thought maybe August, before school starts,  would be a good time. Then we had our appointment with the pediatric cardiologist and suddenly she was having heart murmur surgery. I set the bedding aside and concentrated on the surgery and back to school preparation. We talked a little about it as she LOVES her new, pretty ballerina bedding. (It is so soft!) I bought her a "big girl" pillow a couple of weeks ago and she was very excited about that too. I started feeling a little pressure with school starting and stuff, so Saturday afternoon we just did it! Frank converted her bed. She "helped" him. I ironed all the bedding, cleaned the room, sent them to the playroom and made it "pretty" and welcoming...

Rachel's "big girl" bed!
The room is kind of a dark brownish color.
It worked fine for her pink/brown bedding
I bought when we moved.
Kind of excited as I got approval to change it to a
pretty shade of yellow!
I couldn't find yellow ballerina bedding,
so we'll get her yellow in another way. 
Funny as her nursery was pink/yellow up in Seattle.
We settled on "Ballerina" bedding!
The Victoria Ballerina doll was kind of a neat coincidence.
I actually had her stashed in the closet for Christmas
as Rachel will be in the Nutcracker Remixed
again this year and I thought that'd be cute.
She turned out to be a great addition to the new bed!
I think she approves!
"I LOVE my new big girl bed, Mommy!"
"Hello, Victoria!"
Pretending to be asleep...
Second night...
after I lifted her back into bed!
She was sideways
with both her legs hanging off of the bed...
I hate to speak too soon, but the transition has been going very well! I think it helps that it really is just her crib with an altered side. (It also transitions to a daybed and full/queen.) She stays in all night with no problem so far. I am adding the extra incentive of a sticker chart. The first morning, Frank heard her stirring and went up, yesterday I had to wake her for school, today...she showed up in my room. She greeted me with a, "Hi, Mommy! I got up all be myself and came downstairs!" I asked her why she didn't stay in bed and just call me. She said, "Because, I'm a big girl, Mommy." Yes, yes, she is...

4 comments:

Lea said...

I'm still here!! LOVE the new bedding. I know another little girl who would love it too! And the shoes as well!

Lea said...

Oh, and that's how I look at classrooms too! I was VERY picky with our preschool choice....they had to line up with MY early ed ideas!

Timmarie said...

I am so glad you updated the blog. I still check once a week for an update. Love the converted bed! She is a big girl, but she is still YOUR baby and that is why you were protective of her. I had to move mine out of their cribs by 2 1/2 because they were too heavy to lift. When it is the right time, you know and then you do it, just as you did.

Carissa said...

I love this whole post! I'm glad all went well with the surgery, that was a tough one, but thankfully it's over.

The SHOES! I LOVE the shoes! I'm so happy she picked them out too, it's so much more fun when kids want to wear something that you want for them.

The big girl bed is adorable. I even showed John the picture saying "Their crib turns in to such a cute toddler bed!" Ours is not nearly as cute converted. :)

I hope all is going well with preschool still. Getting used to our new routine has been tough, so I hope your routine is easier.