Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Fever:(

Our sweet girl is experiencing her first fever. It has been a scary few days for Frank and me beginning Saturday afternoon. When Rachel woke from her nap I picked her up to change her and kissed her head as I always do. Well, she was HOT. I was alarmed and grabbed the thermometer to take her temperature. 102 degrees! All I could think was, "This is bad!". It was surprising how it came just out of the blue like that. She had no other symptoms of any kind of illness. She really didn't even seem fazed by it at first. So began the first of several days of trying to keep her temp low and help her be as comfortable as possible. We could tell she wasn't feeling well, but she wasn't complaining...yet. We continued administering the Tylenol, putting cool compresses on her head which she really seemed to like, and giving her lots of diluted apple juice to keep her hydrated. We even gave her an orange popsicle. It was the first time for a popsicle...not a big hit...she tossed it onto the floor...twice! :) We were able to bring the temp down each time, but then it would go right back up hovering around 102/103 degrees.

Here are some of my most favorite "sleeping" pictures. That is what she has mostly been doing today, but since I do not want to flash a camera in her face when she is feeling so awful...will share some from the past year...On Monday morning, we called her pediatrician and they said to bring her in. They didn't seem too concerned even when her temp came in at 103 degrees. They gave her a megadose of Tylenol and checked her over thoroughly. She got an "all clear" on lungs, ears, nose, throat etc...We got a little lesson on Infant Tylenol and Motrin, some instructions, and were told to just monitor temp until Thursday. If it doesn't break, then call back for more extensive testing. Well, my poor little one has been so not her happy little self the past two days. She's mostly just eating, drinking juice, lying on our laps and sleeping! I admit I am really enjoying the snuggle time, but it makes me so sad to see her feeling so uncomfortable. She is still trying to give us several of her dynamic smiles each day, but the fever is getting the best of her. She has actually been whiney. I am not used to that from her, but I know it's because she just doesn't understand this pain that has taken over her little body. I had the flu and pneumonia at the same time once when teaching 2nd grade. I had a temp around 101/102, and I was way more whiney than she has been! So I do have a little idea of how she must be feeling, and I am proud of how she is handling it. Such the little trooper! She actually woke up crying this morning, at 6 am, which really alarmed me! She has never done that except maybe when she was a tiny, hungry newborn. I ran into her room not sure of what I would find. She was just sitting there crying and holding her blankie. The "Mama, please take the pain away and make me feel better" look on her face tugged hard at my heart! Her little face was so red and she was hotter than ever. I scooped her up and took her temp...105! I have never been so scared. I was trembling and trying not to get emotional. I know babies get fevers. This was just our first experience ever. She just kept whimpering and whining and seemed to barely be able to keep her eyes open. (reminded me of my migraines) I changed her, took her temp 3 more times with same results, gave her some Tylenol and took her into my bed with me. She drank 6 oz. of diluted apple juice and let me put several cool compresses on her until I got it down to 101. Then she munched on some Cheerios, snuggled up on me and went back to sleep. I let her sleep on me for awhile, then put her in her crib and she slept for several more hours. So...I continued alternating the meds today realizing perhaps we ARE supposed to wake her during the night to give her them. The good news is her temp has been down around 99/100 all day since about 9am. The bad news is I am still not sure of the cause or if it will end soon. I keep thinking of all the tasks I could get done while she is sleeping so much, but I am so tired myself! Just hoping she feels better soon.
Frank had to go out of town this morning for business. Sweetie, I know that was one the hardest things you have ever had to do. You have been amazing with your feverish baby girl since Saturday. You are such a good Da-Da! Such a natural and so good at keeping me calm. Thanks for checking in on us every couple hours today. We miss you!

2 comments:

kimberly said...

so sorry she is feeling so bad....and i agree...it is the hardest thing to watch your little ones go through this...and now my heart breaks with my grandbabies!!!!! hoping she feels better real soon lori....and that mommy gets some rest too.

Jamie said...

oh, poor little baby. :( I'm so sorry she hasn't been feeling well ~ it's so hard to watch them being miserable and not be able to take away the hurt. She sure is a cutie though! :)
Hope mama gets some much needed sleep!