Thursday, May 14, 2009

Grandma is on the phone!

My mom called today to tell us how much she loves her Mother's Day gifts. We were having a very nice conversation, and I was updating her on how Rachel was feeling. Rachel was reclined on my lap with blankie, watching the Wiggles (a little), and listening to me talk. Every so often she would turn and flash me a huge smile. I'd smile and ask her if she was listening to Mommy talk to Grandma. Then I'd put the phone to her ear and let Grandma talk to her. She'd smile but wouldn't say anything. After about 10 minutes or so she scooted off my lap and onto the floor. Her toys are all there, and I just kept talking. She then went over and picked up her little plastic photo album. I made two for her back when she was just a few months old. One has pictures of Mommy, Daddy, doggy, Grandparents and her Aunt and Uncles on my side and the other is Grandma and Aunts and Uncles on Frank's side. We always show her the pictures and tell her all the names of everyone. She LOVES these two "books" and looks at them all the time and smiles and shows us the pictures. We also take them on our airplane rides and talk about who we are going to see.
So, today while I was on the phone she crawled right to the one of my family. She opened it to the page that has Grandma and Grandpa on one side and Uncle Jamie on the other. She looked right at me and pointed to Grandma's picture!! I could not believe it!! I started saying "Yes, that's Grandma! Yes, Mommy's talking to her on the phone right now!".

One of my favorite Rachel & Grandma pictures.

She was 4 1/2 months old...
I was shocked! Was it just a coincidence or did she really know that I was talking to Grandma and communicated that to me on her own!? What a fun moment. I think Grandma really enjoyed it too:)...

1 comment:

Jamie said...

i think she knew exactly what she was talking about! :) they are smart little cookies and understand WAYYYY more than we think they do. :) I've seen this with all of my nephews and niece and it completely blows my mind.
You've got a little genius on your hands! :)Good Job Rachel!! :)