I love music. I love lyrics. Songs pop into my head all the time. Many times I just start singing them aloud. Sometimes I grab my sweet girl and we dance around. (Fortunately, Rachel seems to like Momma's voice so far.) We sing in the car ALL the time. She actually requests songs now. Three of her favorites lately are Raffi tunes..."Baby Beluga", "Who Built The Ark", and "Baa Baa Black Sheep"...she also loves the two "Ducky" songs as she calls them. She sings them right along with me now. Sometimes we don't even play the CD. We just sing the songs. One of my favorite games is to sing a few words and stop...then she finishes my sentences or phrases. Fun! And it just reinforces how smart her Daddy and I think she is. Okay, I realize all parents think their child is smart, but she really is! (She loves to sing her ABC's, counts to 20 and can tell me how to spell her name. Okay...enough Mommy Brag already.) So today I played a new Gymboree CD for her. Well, I tried. Once I played song #4 for her..."Dance Gymbo Dance"...that was the only song we listened to...about 20 times! She rocked it out in her carseat...dancing, laughing, giggling, squealing...and each time it ended, "Play again, please, Momma, please!". So I did! Yes, she brings sheer joy into my every day.
One of the songs that popped into my head this afternoon as I watched her eat her piece of pizza at our favorite pizza place was "You Are My Special Angel"...an oldie but goodie by Bobby Helms. Of course, I got tears in my eyes and she noticed and said, "Momma, be happy." That's her thing lately...wants Momma to "be happy" all the time. I told her I am very happy because she makes my heart happy. Then I said, "You know something?" to which her response is always, "I Love You!". Heartmelt. I wish I could freeze this moment in time forever. These interactions with her are the best! I used to say to her, "Do you want to know something?" She'd look at me and I'd tell her, "I Love You!"...and it was so incredible the first time she said it before I did.
That's not the only reason she is my "Special Angel" though. Frank was on a business trip this week and was flying back today. He was calling and texting and keeping good tabs on us and updating us on his travels. I happen to be having my sickest January ever. I finally broke down and went to the walk-in/urgent care clinic today. Well, actually the day started off with me taking Rachel to gymnastics. It was only her 5th class and she has been really shy and clingy in there. So not my little girl, but I realize it is very new for her. The other kids have been going for awhile and are good, confident and kind of aggressive. She is coming out of her shell little by little each week though. Today she did all the balance beam activities and tried a few other things. I was very proud of her and love the way she smiles and just beams when I tell her that. So, by the end of class I had decided to go to the clinic. I have been just miserable with sore throat, cough, congestion, headaches, runny nose etc...just ick.
I told Rachel Mommy needed to go to the doctor and asked her if she would be a good girl at the doctor's office. Of course, she said she would. And she was! Better than me actually. Oh my goodness, it was not bad until we got into the exam room...then we waited and waited and waited...forever! And we were the second ones in the door! I truly thought they forgot about me. Well, she sat in the chair opposite my exam table and ate a snack, drank her juice and just chatted with me. She got a little loud one time and I reminded her to use her table voice like at a restaurant. No problem. I was getting so irritated but trying not to show it. I was also getting dizzy and headachey and stuff...kept coughing...and tried so hard not to complain. I did sigh loudly a few times and grumbled about them forgetting about me...don't they realize I have an almost 3 year old...how long can she be expected to be good? Um, actually she wasn't the one they needed to worry about:). Each time, she would just look at me and say, "Momma, be happy."...(Oh, baby...I'm trying!) We finally saw the doc who basically told me I had the "creeping crud virus". Is that the new medical term? She gave me two prescriptions and sent us on our way. After the doctor's office, we were hungry! Our favorite pizza place was nearby, so we headed there. Yum! We were the only ones in the place and it was great! I ordered us each a slice while she pulled a highchair over to our table and put her bib on. We just sat there...eating, chatting, relaxing and even treated ourselves to some gelato! Um, did you know the coldness of gelato causes coughing spells?! Yea, me neither. That was not fun! So halfway through, I told her we needed to stop at Target to get Mommy's medicine and a few other items. I asked her if she thought she'd be okay because she was missing her nap. She confirmed that she would be. So we went. At some point in the middle of all this Frank received a text from me..."At Mezza Luna then to Target. Mommy exhausted." I knew he was flying over the country somewhere but that he woud get it when he could. After a few more minutes of watching our sweet girl he received this text from me ..."Your daughter is an Angel! Such a good girl!". I told her I sent daddy a text that would make him very proud of her and told her what I said. She just looked at me and said, "Momma, happy." Yes, yes I am! I asked her if I could give her kiss to which she leaned over and let me kiss the top of her head. Momma very happy indeed. Next stop, Target! Dropped prescriptions off and went shopping. She helped me write the list and reminded me about things as we shopped. That's kind of a fun game we play too. She kept "suggesting" fishy crackers though. I told her they were not on the list:). That Target really knows how to merchandise! We had a great shopping trip during which she read to Momma most of the time. I whispered that I could not read to her while shopping so she said, "Read to Momma!" I told her that was a great idea. Oh, and did you know you could get an embarrassing coughing spell in the middle of Target for no reason whatsoever?! Yep, I did. I could not stop. Finally found a piece of gum and it helped. Wow! Of course, my little sweetheart had to have one too! A coughing spell, that is! Or should I say "fake" coughing spell? When I was finally able to whisper I told her to stop being so dramatic. She just smiled.
We eventually got home. It took a long time as there was some horrible accident or something, and we were stuck in traffic for a very long time. We had a really nice evening together. I could tell she was tired, but I got some cheese and crackers (her choice) into her and some yogurt (my choice). She wanted to do a couple of "Do it Dot" pictures together, so we did that and then headed upstairs. That is another reason she is my "Special Angel"...at naptime and bedtime I'll just ask her, "Do you know what time it is?" to which she responds, "Bedtime!" and we just head upstairs. This evening I was beat, so I had her pick out her jammies and then asked her if she could undress herself and help Mommy. She was so excited. I try to let her do a lot herself, but I probably still do more than I should. (She is growing so fast and it is hard for me to give up everything!) She kept saying, "Rachel, do it self." as she undressed. When she got stuck, she simply said, "Momma help Rachel." and I did. We brushed her teeth which is kind of exciting as she is learning to "swish and spit" out the toothpaste. Stand back for that one! Then we read a story in the rocker, turned out the light and just rocked and talked about our day. Oh, how I love these moments. I think what really surprises me sometimes is there is very little or no conflict...no resistance...she just goes with the flow...I tell her we are going to do this then this...and it is just fine. Don't get me wrong, she has her moments. She has finally learned the word "no" and tries to use it. But I respond with words like, "Rachel, make a good choice, Sweetie. What did Mommy ask you to do?" or "Show Mommy what a good listener looks like." She likes to point to herself for that one. She seems to think about it a sec, then does it! Sweet, Sweet Angel. Every single day is a joy...a gift...a delight..."You Are My Special Angel...Sent from Up Above..."
A daughter is a bundle of firsts
that excite and delight,
giggles that come from deep inside
and are always contagious,
everything wonderful and precious
and your love for her knows no bounds.
~ Barbara Cage
(okay, so it is almost 3am....hope the meds kick in soon! The one is supposed to make me restless, the other is supposed to make me drowsy. Does that mean they cancel each other out?!!! Oh, the pictures are a few from our holiday photo shoot we did in December. I finally got them mailed out so am sharing on the blog.)











1 comment:
Lori! Hope you are feeling better very soon! You've had a rough month! G has started asking, "Mommy happy?" too. I feel bad when I can't say YES!! That R is such a sweet girl!
Post a Comment